US 2.0 Drive Enclosures and DVD Burners

All Hardware & Software Related Post

Moderators: [MgA]ODEN, Admin

[MgA]RockCrusher
[MgA]Clan Captain

US 2.0 Drive Enclosures and DVD Burners

Post by [MgA]RockCrusher »

I thought I'd start a new thread on this question I have:

Anybody had any experiences with WinXP and this USB 2.0 Drive Enclosure and and this internal I/O Magic DVD Burner not working properly?

Nero 6 Ultra has a problem using it as well as a very kewl DVD utility that I/O Magic Recomended. I've tried TWO different DVD Burners in it (both with the driver jumpers set to Master as requested by the drive enclosure maker).
....missing Q3X LAN Parties...
*PyRO*Forsaken
Spammer
Spammer

Re: US 2.0 Drive Enclosures and DVD Burners

Post by *PyRO*Forsaken »

[MgA]RockCrusher wrote:I thought I'd start a new thread on this question I have:

Anybody had any experiences with WinXP and this USB 2.0 Drive Enclosure and and this internal I/O Magic DVD Burner not working properly?

Nero 6 Ultra has a problem using it as well as a very kewl DVD utility that I/O Magic Recomended. I've tried TWO different DVD Burners in it (both with the driver jumpers set to Master as requested by the drive enclosure maker).
I posted in PyRO about this :)
[MgA]RockCrusher
[MgA]Clan Captain

Re: US 2.0 Drive Enclosures and DVD Burners

*PyRO*Forsaken wrote:I posted in PyRO about this :)
Thanks Forsaken.... :)
[MgA]RockCrusher
[MgA]Clan Captain

Woohoo, I solved the problem.

Apparently it was a *wonky* USB2.0 PCI card which was brand spanking new and just installed. :shock:

I called ADS Technologies (the guys that make the enclosures) and they had me use the USB 1.1 ports on my computer (I had to remove lots of H/W devices though...) and everything worked. Their tech support also told me that they prefered to use USB 2.0 PCI cards with a NEC controller chip (mine was an ALi chip).

Here's the weird part USB 2.0 seemed to be working on the card...So I replaced the USB 2.0 PCI with an IDENTICAL card, albeit the ALi chip had a different version # on it, and then ALL the devices in the TWO enclosures started working (no drivers were reinstalled...no firmware on the burners were updated).
As I had YET ANOTHER USB 2.0 PCI Card laying around but with the NEC chip on it, I decided to remove the ALi based card and installed the NEC one.

...FINALLY everything now works....sheesh :roll: only took me a week to get to the point of backing up my game system, before I P4 everyone ;)
[MgA]RockCrusher
[MgA]Clan Captain

Basically, the lesson learned:

You get what you pay for.....if the price of the hardware seems cheap, you could have a high probability of getting a quirky piece of hardware.

*live and re-learn* 8)
[MgA]ODEN
Site Admin

Post by [MgA]ODEN »

Who buys that crap in the first place?

Oh , wait ............................ never mind :smt002

lil joke :razz:
[MgA]RockCrusher
[MgA]Clan Captain

It's the best way to add USB ports if you need to (and USB2 to boot)...just never realized some of the issues with some of the chipsets.

I've always thought that this kind of PC hardware would fail in this way. I always thought it would either work 100% or work 0%. Never thought there would be a 75% working mark..:roll: