New XP System Scheduler Problem

All Hardware & Software Related Post

Moderators: [MgA]ODEN, Admin

[MgA]RockCrusher
[MgA]Clan Captain

New XP System Scheduler Problem

Post by [MgA]RockCrusher »

I was wondering if someone out there knows how to fix this problem.

In my brand new Windows XP system (SP2 applied after install) my Task Scheduler is not working. I just set up this system 2 weeks ago.

Programs like SpySweeper and Norton NIS 2005 add scheduled scans to the Windows Scheduler, but for some reason they are not running. When I try to run them manually, nothing happens, nothing of note in the Event log or no mention of the RUN in the Scheduler log.

I'm so confused.... :?
[MgA]TiMeX
[MgA]Clan Captain

Post by [MgA]TiMeX »

Sorry Rock, can't help you. I turn off task scheduling. I do everything manually.
}You can kill me but I'll only come back to haunt you{
Dark Soldier
SPAMMER!
SPAMMER!

Post by Dark Soldier »

Sorry buddy, I can't help you here bro, peace
[MgA]RockCrusher
[MgA]Clan Captain

[MgA]TiMeX wrote:Sorry Rock, can't help you. I turn off task scheduling. I do everything manually.
I can't even do that....when I try to run a Virus Scan or a SpySweeper on-demand scan.

The process for manual scans in those programs I mentioned, is this: they add a task to the Scheduler Service, run it immediately, and then delete the scheduler task.
The reason for this process is obvious: Scheduled tasks run under the system account.
Have you ever wondered how you can scan system folders, other user profiles and files, and remove or fix system files when you are logged in under a limited accounts in these programs. It's because the AT's (aka Scheduler's) account being system.

...but since I can't run Scheduler Tasks manually under my Administrator account this doesn't even work.

Anyone a Microsoft MCSE on WinXP ?
PyROsTEVO
WoW...You can type?
WoW...You can type?

Post by PyROsTEVO »

hey rock! try this.. is your xp cd have sp2 slipstreamed? if so, put xp cd in.. go to command prompt and type: sfc /scannow it should check the windows files and see about anything corrupted. also, did you install these proggies after or before the upgrade?
[MgA]RockCrusher
[MgA]Clan Captain

PyROsTEVO wrote:hey rock! try this.. is your xp cd have sp2 slipstreamed? if so, put xp cd in.. go to command prompt and type: sfc /scannow it should check the windows files and see about anything corrupted. also, did you install these proggies after or before the upgrade?
Not sure what Slipstreamed means? I have the XP SP1 Orginal CD and the XP SP2 Update I downloaded.

I did this. Installed XP SP1 disconnected from the Internet, then applied all the mobo drivers, then applied SP2. After that I did a Windows Update and downloaded a piss load of updates. After all the Windows stuff was updated, I installed Norton Internet Security 2005 and SpySweeper and updated both of those programs.

That's where I'm at now....I was trying to Scan now my PC for viruses, but she no workie :cry:
Burford Bull Dog
WoW...You can type?
WoW...You can type?

Post by Burford Bull Dog »

unstall norton and spysweeper then restall if you have scan disk delete it xp does not need a scan disk program.
CW-4
Mavis beacon Typing 101 HuH?
Mavis beacon Typing 101 HuH?

Post by CW-4 »

Rock, don't use Task Scheduler myself... but fould this little checklist that might help.

http://www.iopus.com/guides/winscheduler.htm
[MgA]RockCrusher
[MgA]Clan Captain

Thanks guys. I found the problem with the tasks. Even though the check box for only running the task while logged in was checked, I had to uncheck it and then do this:
Overtype the Machine\Username and re-enter my password. Strange since I didn't have one set, so I set one for my account, but I still had to do this step.
Then I could check the checkbox for only run while logged in.

It was like it couldn't find my "Machine\Username" when set up by these programs.

I found this out while trying to setup a task myself and got a weird "Permission denied" error when I was setting up the new task (Open Adobe Reader).

Now I am to schedule scans through Norton and SpySweeper. Weirdness eh? :roll: Must be MickeySoft.

Thanks for everyone's help.