NVIDIA Drivers Letting You Down

All Hardware & Software Related Post

Moderators: [MgA]ODEN, Admin

[MgA]ODEN
Site Admin

NVIDIA Drivers Letting You Down

Post by [MgA]ODEN »

If you own a NVIDIA video card, especially the new 8800 series cards, and you plan on upgrading to Vista, you?d better read this first.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.h ... VzaWFzdA==
Windows Vista was not sprung on an unsuspecting NVIDIA last weekend. NVIDIA has known for a great while that WHQL Vista driver support is expected of them. They also know darn well that their enthusiast customer base will not find their current feeble attempts acceptable and that their self-stated ?world-class support? is worth very little right now in terms of Windows Vista.
[MgA]TiMeX
[MgA]Clan Captain

Post by [MgA]TiMeX »

I haven't read the articles yet but maybe NVidia sees something in Vista that it doesn't like. It's happened before with new OS releases.
}You can kill me but I'll only come back to haunt you{
[MgA]RockCrusher
[MgA]Clan Captain

Post by [MgA]RockCrusher »

Vista? BLAH!
[MgA]TiMeX
[MgA]Clan Captain

Post by [MgA]TiMeX »

[MgA]RockCrusher wrote:Vista? BLAH!
Yeah, I gotta agree for the moment. I'm waiting at least six months.

As I said above about NVidia and Vista, I've been looking through the motherboards and graphics cards at Newegg lately and ran across many reviews that mentioned problems with Vista and graphics hardware. I should go back and try to wade through them and post them here. If time permits.
[MgA]RockCrusher
[MgA]Clan Captain

[MgA]TiMeX wrote:
[MgA]RockCrusher wrote:Vista? BLAH!
Yeah, I gotta agree for the moment. I'm waiting at least six months.

As I said above about NVidia and Vista, I've been looking through the motherboards and graphics cards at Newegg lately and ran across many reviews that mentioned problems with Vista and graphics hardware. I should go back and try to wade through them and post them here. If time permits.
I'm waiting 3 years...Microsoft has publicly stated that XP will be supported for the next 5 years. Besides 5 copies of Vista Premium will set me back $1,000 and there ain't no way Billy-Boy is getting any more of my money :x
[MgA]TiMeX
[MgA]Clan Captain

Post by [MgA]TiMeX »

[MgA]RockCrusher wrote:I'm waiting 3 years...Microsoft has publicly stated that XP will be supported for the next 5 years. Besides 5 copies of Vista Premium will set me back $1,000 and there ain't no way Billy-Boy is getting any more of my money :x
I don't blame you. Sucks doesn't it? What you need is a site license. lol

:cool:
[MgA]Shemp
Don't you have someplace to be?

Post by [MgA]Shemp »

Well I'm not much of a debater nor do I believe in shoving my opinion down someones throat, so I'll keep my opinion about Vista to myself. For me and the PC's I service it was a smooth transition.

It would appear every ones made up there mind anyway! :smile:
[MgA]TiMeX
[MgA]Clan Captain

Post by [MgA]TiMeX »

[MgA]Shemp wrote:Well I'm not much of a debater nor do I believe in shoving my opinion down someones throat, so I'll keep my opinion about Vista to myself. For me and the PC's I service it was a smooth transition.

It would appear every ones made up there mind anyway! :smile:
I value your opinion. My guess is that alot of people who have problems and then post their pros and cons at places like Newegg aren't as savvy as they like to think they are and want to blame the equipment. I know that over the years I personaly have had little or no problems with most things.

So, are all your games running the way you want with the framerates you want with Vista? If so I'd like to know what video card you're using and how much system ram you have plugged in.

As far as going to newer OS's, I've always been slow to change. It took me a year to go from Win3.1 to Win95 and almost that long to go to 98. Went to 98SE right away. It took me awhile to go to XP and I even tried the beta version which worked ok for me. Go figure.

:cool:
[MgA]Shemp

Post by [MgA]Shemp »

I have a ATI/AMD X1950XT
2 gigs of XMS memory
AMD SD 3700
SB XFI
BFG 650W PS

To be honest, I understand everyones apprehension to Vista. Unfortunately I service quite a few PC's not to mention all the new ones I build, so I've had a PC with Vista on it from the first RC candidate.

I have the Ultimate version of Vista and so far its well worth the money I spent on it. I wont go into all the things I like about it since everyone interpretation will be different. Most of my clients have multiple PC's in there house. When asked I usually suggest getting Vista on 1 PC and take it from there. Framerates are the same as XP from what I can see. I have a few kinks to work out with Q3 and COD1/UO will not work on vista. COD2 rox tho.

Games I've tested so far

Doom3
Q4
BF2- smooth
WOW- not on my system but tested on another.
BF2142- not on my system but tested on another.
COD2- smooth
[MgA]RockCrusher
[MgA]Clan Captain

I'll probably upgrade my gamer, but it will be a new system with Vista already on it. I'll take a month to install and test all my suitcase load of games on it. Thanks Shemp for the feedback you've posted on the games you've already tested (it looks like the BF2/BF2142/CoD2 games will run great on it. :grin:
[MgA] Kosh
Do you have a life?
Do you have a life?

Post by [MgA] Kosh »

Vista is the reason I'M switching to Apple. Leppard will be out at the end of March. :smile:

Vista is a lemon and won't be ready for prime time for a year or so.