New Patches for old ID games

What's new and improved

Moderators: [MgA]ODEN, Admin

[MgA]RockCrusher
[MgA]Clan Captain

New Patches for old ID games

Post by [MgA]RockCrusher »

I just saw in Fileshack a TON of patches for Q3 (1.32C), Wolf, Wolf ET, etc.... All of these say they are for security reasons. :shock:

Anyone know the poop on this?
[MgA]TiMeX
[MgA]Clan Captain

Post by [MgA]TiMeX »

hmm, nope. Might be worth looking into.
}You can kill me but I'll only come back to haunt you{
[MgA]RockCrusher
[MgA]Clan Captain

I was kinda on wondering if you could get hacked by playing games. Maybe this is an answer and ID's response :smt017
[MgA]TiMeX
[MgA]Clan Captain

Post by [MgA]TiMeX »

Well, I've often wondered about that over the years, especially leaving allow download on. Back in the early days of Q3 I got hammered twice with viruses by leaving it on. That's why I always shut it off in all my games till recently. Some of the newer games won't go online unless it's on. Or at the very least letting your firewall accept incoming conections from the game server.
}You can kill me but I'll only come back to haunt you{
[MgA]RockCrusher
[MgA]Clan Captain

[MgA]TiMeX wrote:Or at the very least letting your firewall accept incoming conections from the game server.
I think doing that is okay if you trust the admins of the server you're connecting to. It would be easy for an unscrupulous admin to put a hack on his server that would allow him access to your system. Those PAK files can include executable (and scripts) content.